Night Fire Kills Entire Family

A deadly fire kills entire family in Engineer town in Olkalau, Nyandarua County.

The fire that broke out on Sunday night killed two parents, both teachers, and their four-year-old son.

According to residents, the fire broke out at around 11 pm when they were preparing to retire to bed.

SEE ALSO: Ksh44M Loan Forces School to Send Students Home

Residents believe that the fire may have been caused by a gas explosion from a leaking gas which the family used to cook.

“We heard a loud bang and suddenly a big fire erupted. The trio were in the house and efforts to rescue them failed as they were locked inside,” clarified Judy Nyambura, a resident.

Reports claim that it took residents more than an hour to put out the fire that was fueled by strong winds.

“We gathered at the scene but could not manage to secure anything as the strong winds made it hard for us. There was no source of water nearby either,” she complained.

Nyandarua Governor Francis Kimemia took to the county’s Facebook page to condole with family, friends, and colleagues of Daniel Thuku Ngundo, 40, who was a teacher at Rugongo Primary School, his wife Esther Wangari Ndung’u, 35, a teacher at Kanamba Primary School and, their son Vincent Mwangi Thuku.

SEE ALSO: 17 Less Known Facts About Bob Collymore

“As a County, we mourn the lives of this young family and the great loss to Nyandarua, the teaching fraternity and the families which bear an even deeper personal loss,” stated the governor.

The bodies of the three were moved to Engineer hospital mortuary.

Residents have now protested accusing the Nyandarua county government of lacking a fire fighting machine in the area.

“It is a shame that there is no fire fighting machine in the town despite the numerous fire incidents of late. We could have saved the lives of the three if there was one,” lamented John Njoroge, another resident.

Related posts

Comments are closed.